Sunday, June 01, 2008

 
Spring on the Palouse

Wow! It's spring (at last). Look at all the wonderful flowers in bloom.





Horse Chestnut..................Lilac.......................Violets






Columbine




Peony




... And more.





The Golden Chain (after spending 2 years as a potted plant in the rose garden) appears to be doing well.




The grape vines are starting to recover.



As are the strawberries.


The netting will keep the birds out so that we 'actually do get some strawberries.





My favorite though are the Iris (aka 'Flags' for those from the Midwest). The original plants (rhizomes) came from Illinois. The plants belonged to my Grandmother. In 1980 we brought my Grandmother to California to live with my parents. During the moving process I saw where the plants had been mown down to the ground along with the grass. With my Grandmother's permission I dug up some of the rhizomes and brought them back with us to California.

Over the last 28 years since their relocation the plants have lived and prospered at various residences; always planted in the ground and always dug up when we moved again. Sometimes they did very well; sometimes not so well.

Three years ago when we moved to Washington I brought my precious plants with me. There were a couple of blooms last year but this year I think they're going to be exceptionally beautiful.

My Grandmother passed more than 20 years ago so these plants are precious to me. These are for you Grandma.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?