Thursday, May 18, 2006

 


On about May 6th I painstakingly planted my vegetable garden. I had started many of the veggies from seeds in the green house in March so they were well established plants.
I kept the little “buggers” warm, watered and well tended until the first week of May at which time I took them out to the tilled garden plot and placed them in the ground. I planted four rows of sweet corn, three rows of tomatoes, Romaine lettuce, sweet bell pepper, radishes, carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, summer squash, watermelon, cantaloupe and spinach. I also planted radishes and carrots from seed.

I must have worked half the day putting all the veggies in and the laying out the drip lines so they received the water they needed to continue to grow. I could almost hear the little plants singing… or maybe they were screaming, “Idiot!”

Two nights later (remember, this is MAY) the temperature got down to 28 degrees. Now, I like frozen vegetables but, this is not what I intended when I planted the garden. Needless to say, the only thing not affected by the frigid temperature was the radishes (seeds, remember?). I’m not even sure the carrots survived. Maybe they were afraid to come out. After that the weather continued to remain cool but not freezing.

Last Friday we planted Roger’s grapes and blueberries. That night the temperature got down to 27. One of the grape vines looks a little frosted but it looks like it will pull out of it.

I have now replanted my garden. Most of the plants are seeds so I don’t think another frost will affect them. However, I did plant some living (at least for the moment) plants. I'm not a masochist and have no desire to plant a third garden this year. So, if one were to look at the garden one would think that we were growing a crop of nursery pots.

I no longer trust the weather man who assured us that the temp would be no lower than the low 40’s (yea, right). As it turned out the temperature dipped down to a frosty 33 degrees that night. Lucky I covered the plants, huh? Now, five days later with temperatures soaring into the 90’s I’m wondering if I should start applying sunscreen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?