Wednesday, April 05, 2006

 

Last fall I planted a few tulip bulbs (60 of them – I know, what was I thinking?). I also planted some crocus and hyacinth. The latter were placed in a less protected area of the yard.

My sister-in-law told me that the deer love tulips. Not as I do as something beautiful to behold, but more as a culinary delight. I was very careful to protect the tulips. I placed them in an area near the house and hopefully a place that was not too accessible to the deer. Then I covered them with straw. I could only hope they were safe.

About a week ago I discovered the tips of the crocus and hyacinths (not covered by the straw) emerging from the ground. Two days later I found some of their little bodies ripped out and the tops eaten off. Unfortunately, my sister-in-law failed to tell me that deer also like crocus and hyacinth.

The tulips bulbs still snuggled under in the straw have not been bothered. The crocus and hyacinth are now protected by straw borrowed from the tulips. This is the first bloom on my surviving crocus and others seem to be timidly following.

Oh yes, no blooms on the tulips yet but they’re doing very well…so far.

I wonder how difficult it would be for Roger to spray 58 acres with deer repellant.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?